• Subcribe to Our RSS Feed

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Belajar Bahasa Inggris Subordinating Conjunction

5:39 AM // by Muba // // No comments

Subordinating Conjunction and Relative Pronoun

Adverb Clause
A subordinating conjunction word is the first word in a dependent clause. Common subordinating words include the following.



  Subordinating Conjunctions for Adverb Clauses
Place (Where?)
where
wherever
anywhere
everywhere
I like to shop where prices are low.
I try to shop wherever there is a sale.
You can find bargains anywhere you shop.
I use my credit card everywhere I shop.
Manner (How)
as
as if
as though
I love to get flowers as most women do.
You look as if you don’t sleep at all last night.
She acts as though she doesn’t know us.
Distance (How far? How near? How close?)
as + adverb + as
We will hike as far as we can before it turns dark.
The child sat as close as she could to her mother.
The child sat as close to her mother as she could.
Frequency (How often?)
as often as
I call my parents as often as I can.
Reason (Why?)
as
inasmuch as

because
since
I can’t take evening classes as I work at night.
Inasmuch as no offer has been made to pay for the damage, our company will have to take this case to court.
I can’t take evening classes because I work at night.
I can’t take evening classes since I work at night.
Purpose (For what purpose?)
so that
in order that
Many people emigrate so that their children can have a better life.
 Many people emigrate in order that their children can have a better life.
Result (With what result?)
so + adjective + that
so + adverb + that
such a(n) + noun +that
so much/many/little/few + noun + that
I was so tired last night that I fell asleep at dinner.
She talks so softly that the other students cannot hear her.
It was such an easy test that most of the students got A’s.

He is taking so many classes that he has no time to sleep.

Condition (Under what condition?)
if
unless
We will not go hiking if it rains.
We will not go hiking unless the weather is perfect.
Partial contrast
although
even though

though
I love my brother although we disagree about almost everything.
I love my brother even though we disagree about almost everything.
I love my brother though we disagree about almost everything.
Contrast (Direct opposites)
While
whereas
My brother likes classical music, while I prefer hard rock.
He dresses conservatively, whereas I like to be a little shocking.
Time (When?)
when
Your heart rate increases when you exercise.
while
Some people like to listen to music while they are studying.
as
One train was arriving as another was departing.
since
We haven’t seen Professor Hill since she returned from her trip.
until
Don’t put off going to the dentist until you have a problem.
once
Once the dean arrives, the meeting can begin.
before
Before he left the country, Richard bought some traveler’s checks.
after
Emily will give a short speech after she receives the award.
as long as
My parents don’t care what I work at as long as I’m happy.
as soon as
I’ll call you as soon as I get home from work.
by the time
By the time we arrived, the other guests were already there.
whenever
Whenever I smiled, he smiled back.

  Adjective Clause
  Subordinating Words for Adjective Clauses
To refer to people
Who, whom, whose, that (informal)
People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

My parents did not approve of the man whom my sister married.

An orphan is a child whose parents are dead.
To refer to animals and things
which

that
My new computer, which I bought yesterday, stopped working today.

Yesterday I received an e-mail that I did not understand.
To refer to a time or a place
When

where
Thanksgiving is a time when families travel great distances to be together.

An orphanage is a place where orphans live.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...